Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Publicity


What do you picture when you envision a publicist for your book? Someone on the phone, making deals, wearing Armani shades? Perhaps they get you on TV or the radio?

Actually, your publicist will most likely be you and no one else. I listened to a great talk last month by Stephanie Chandler who is a pro at both traditional publicity as well as the more modern uses of social media. What struck me as particularly surprising during her talk was how easy and incredibly useful traditional types of publicity are and how you can get access to them. She herself has spoken on TV, radio, internet podcasts and a variety of other media all the while promoting her published books and engaging a wider audience of readers.

People who work in media always badly need new content, so what can you provide to them? What’s your particular area of expertise? What unique life experiences qualify you to be an “expert” on a given topic? 


12 comments:

  1. Area of expertise - blogging master? Best I got right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I'm an expert in anything except the novels I write. Even then I continue to get lost from time to time. :)

    But I do see new authors being interviewed on local television from time to time. I always wondered how they were able to swing an interview like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I've heard that before. I know all kinds of authors who make school visits--but my book's not YA. It's an adventure romance. Am I going to portray myself as an authority and fighting modern day pirates? rofl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex is doing better than me. My claim to fame is that I'm as broken as my characters. Hey, like they say, write what you know. lol

    Fortunately I'm not broken anymore, but I do know what it's like to be that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd rather write five novels in a month than do one promo event.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, intriguing. For me, I get excited about a book when I see an author excited about their work. Whenever they're all "eh" about their story, I'm "eh" about it. Energy catches my interest!

    Yeah, that's about all I know about publicity. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I am an expert in "How to have holidays abroad with unbelievable disaster" or "How being over analytical about everything made me go bonkers" - Who knows - could be a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting. I like that quote at the beginning, it makes me think about publicity in a different way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent point, Mark. Being in the middle of being your own spokesman is what I'm trying to figure out now. Thanks for pointing this out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting post...definitely food for thought...

    ReplyDelete
  11. It scares me when I think I will have to be the publicist for my own book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can see how this can be intimidating for writers (myself included), but like everything else I think it's a matter of practice...or so I hope:)

    ReplyDelete