Monday, April 7, 2014

Spring Planting

Enjoy the smell of tomato plants and lavender on a bright spring morning? How about the fresh taste of the first lettuce of the season? Like getting your hands dirty in the soft, wet earth?

Well, I started planting my garden this weekend with the help of friends and family. This year I’ve kept an eye toward water conservation with plants that require less watering, such as beans, sunflowers, and wheat. Of course, I’ve got my lettuce, tomatoes, corn, and pumpkins going too, and I can’t wait for them to start sprouting out of the soil in the next few weeks. Over the past several years I’ve saved seeds from each year’s crop, slowly making my own personal variety of mixed vegetables and grains.

What are you planting in the garden this year? Do you prefer hybrids or heirlooms? What do you love best about springtime?  


No comments:

Post a Comment